Voting Procedure for the Challenges

A photo challenge starting January 5th 2009. One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Aster has been appointed moderator of this forum in recognition of her commitment to making it great fun. This does not prevent others from setting challenges!

Moderator: aster

Forum rules
One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Participants should provide basic camera data (body, lens, ISO, mode, exposure over-ride or WB settings), and details of raw processing and subsequent PP.
aster
Tower of Babel

Voting Procedure for the Challenges

Unread post by aster »

Hi everybody, :)

I have a tiny enquiry about the voting phase of the challenges.
Since so many contributors and comments were involved in the progression of the challenges, I'm curious to learn of your views on the voting part.

1** Do you think that everyone who contributed to the challenges should vote for someone other than themselves in the selection of the winner and the runner ups while others who didn't enter the challenge are also free to cast votes?

( I strongly believe that this is best, since there surely will be different opinions and varying insightfulness from everyone )

2** Or do think only one person, the one who started the challenge should run the full course of selecting the winners?

( which can be done and I wouldn't mind the effort at all but this might not appear as just and fulfilling to many others )

Whatever your views are please let me know and shed some light. I'd rather be just than not. :D

Thanks in advance for your collaboration,

Yildiz
Last edited by aster on Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bossel
Viceroy

Re: Voting Procedure for the Challenges

Unread post by bossel »

It really depends. If you want open voting, you will have a lot of work in counting and keeping track of who voted what. In any case, contributors cannot vote for themselves and everybody should be able to vote, not just contributors (you don't need to be a good cook yourself to tell a bad meal from a good one)!
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi Bossel,

Actually my intention in the first question was exactly as you say but I forgot to add that. I edited my first post to clarify better. Thanks for notifying.

For challenge 10 there are more than 20 images submitted and as you say things may take a little while to collect and count all votes and announce the winners.

All thoughts are welcome! :)

Thanks
Yildiz
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

there will be a "prix"?
:-p
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

pakodominguez wrote:there will be a "prix"?
:-p
It can be arranged ... and run. Maybe a GP Photographique...and you are invited! :D

Yildiz
Juanito200
Viceroy

Unread post by Juanito200 »

At the close of the challenge perhaps something like the polls could be set up. But I don't know if that can be set up to keep you from voting for yourself, or more than once. How long would you enable the voting period after the close of the challenge? One week to give everyone to review and vote especially if they hapen to be out of town? If it is a GP photographique who's gonna play the national anthem of the winner???? :lol:
If the last thing you remember hearing is somebody yelling 'CLEAR!!!', assume you've had a problem!!
a77, a700, a200, Minolta 8000i, NEX C3, NEX 5N and more lenses than my wife suspects!
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

maybe use the poll function to tally. for example just compile the URL's (with Davids permission) in one thread and number them then run a pole with the numbers 1-20 lets say? would tat work?
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Javelin wrote:maybe use the poll function to tally. for example just compile the URL's (with Davids permission) in one thread and number them then run a pole with the numbers 1-20 lets say? would tat work?
Hi Javelin,

Yes, compiling the URLs occurred to me also and as you said already that may require David's permission. But I'm not sure how the poll feature will deal with the number of images and also prevent casting votes for oneself.

For example: Challenge 10 that we just concluded has well over 25 photos and the other challenges have no less. So, can the poll be set up with such a long list? And wouldn't a more transparent system be better? There's no need for anyone to be embarressed about their votes which they can just as easily cast by naming the winners. :) Because all photos are exceptionally good in their own right anyway and it comes down to prefering one to the other for a certain quality they like.
Juanito200 wrote:At the close of the challenge perhaps something like the polls could be set up. But I don't know if that can be set up to keep you from voting for yourself, or more than once. How long would you enable the voting period after the close of the challenge? One week to give everyone to review and vote especially if they hapen to be out of town? If it is a GP photographique who's gonna play the national anthem of the winner???? :lol:
Hi Juanito,

You're right, we're a highly-mobile bunch in the forum and not many are 24/7 professionals of photography, many have their own occupations/professions to fulfill on daily basis and they actually might completely forget that there's a challenge waiting for their votes so that the winners can be announced and then move onto the next challenge. It can turn into a difficult situation.

If we run a GP Photograhique, I'm sure our members would be delighted to select you as the anthem provider for your quality of attentiveness on such sensitive measures! :D There should be anthem ringtones and tiny flags on the Internet...like the one Brian (bonneville) has in his signature. :)

Thank you for the ideas,

Yildiz
Juanito200
Viceroy

Unread post by Juanito200 »

Well this is a multifaceted problem.. I'm sure something can be worked out by the PhotoclubAlpha brain trust... One thing is sure however, nobody wants to hear my singing!!! John
If the last thing you remember hearing is somebody yelling 'CLEAR!!!', assume you've had a problem!!
a77, a700, a200, Minolta 8000i, NEX C3, NEX 5N and more lenses than my wife suspects!
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

May I humbly suggest that Yildiz (as the idea proposer) should pick 5-7 pictures from the whole bunch and leave the rest for the poll.
But the first step, she might consult with some members, e.g. forward just 3 shots to 3 members to pick the best, and then another 3 for other 3 members and so forth, till you have 5-7 shots remained.
Thus we will have:
1- an interactive judging system (who voted for whom, should remain as a secret kept by our Lady of the forum (hey, David, how about a promotional rank to Yildiz/Aster)), where too many members will get involved.
2- activating more our beloved forum
3- might as well include friends not yet members here. :wink:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

In recognition of Yildiz's input, I have made her (aster) forum moderator and changed the name of the forum too. It is possible to set up polls, but not within a thread. It would require a separate thread at the moment. I will see whether an add-on of any kind exists which could allow members to rate images, as happens in the Gallery area.\

David
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Good decision, David, and... lots of patience to Yildiz. :wink:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
KevinBarrett

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

One can edit the original post of a thread and create a poll there. The original poster can do this, or a moderator, but the forum's polling application is limited to ten selections.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

David Kilpatrick wrote:In recognition of Yildiz's input, I have made her (aster) forum moderator and changed the name of the forum too. It is possible to set up polls, but not within a thread. It would require a separate thread at the moment. I will see whether an add-on of any kind exists which could allow members to rate images, as happens in the Gallery area.\

David
Hi David, :D

I must confess that this wasn't what I was expecting to see when I woke up to the sounds of thunder and lighting at 4 am and turned my computer on this morning.

Aster's Photo Challenge...Wow! This almost sounds like I have all the propriety rights to the challenges; rather daring, so I hope this change intimidates nobody on the board but it kind of did that to me at first. :)

Therefore, please everyone, don't ever let it cross your minds that I will do or say anything I didn't before...you can let me know anything on your mind because my first reason to be around here is to learn as we all go along forth in time.

So, to clear things, please take a look at the drawings below:
1** No, the challenges are not mine to take home or own..
2** I had strange feeling that I should make a 'thank you' speech to the respectable Alpha Academy members here, to Kitty, to my camera...etc. etc.

Thanks
Yildiz

Image Image
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

wow those are wonderfull! and congradulations on your new Post :)