Looking for a Kit Lens Replacement...

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Ian C
Heirophant

Looking for a Kit Lens Replacement...

Unread post by Ian C »

Hello :)

Wondering if anyone can give me some pointers please?
I am looking for a good quality Kit Lens replacement for my A55's 18-55mm. I like the Kit lens but now think I am after something more higher quality and sharper, preferably still a zoom Lens that makes better use of the cameras 16mp cmos.

I have been looking at the Zeiss range of:SAL-1635Z, SAL-2470Z and SAL-1680Z

Think I like the sound of the SAL - 1680Z but not sure which is the best so any opinions would be most welcome 8)

I currently have other Sony lenses that cover from 50-200mm, so really want high quality wider angles up to 50mm to replace the kit lens.

Thanks,
Ian.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Re: Looking for a Kit Lens Replacement...

Unread post by Birma »

The CZ 16-80 is certainly on my wish list. The other CZs would be too great an investment for me unless I was expecting to go Full-Frame.

There are also Sigma and Tamrons in this range which are faster and cheaper with good reputations (e.g. Tamron 17-50/2.8 ).
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Ian C
Heirophant

Unread post by Ian C »

Birma wrote:The CZ 16-80 is certainly on my wish list. The other CZs would be too great an investment for me unless I was expecting to go Full-Frame.

There are also Sigma and Tamrons in this range which are faster and cheaper with good reputations (e.g. Tamron 17-50/2.8 ).
Great stuff, thank you, the 16-80 is starting to tick all the right boxes so far 8)

Will post some sample if I take the plunge! 8)
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

There is only one issue with the 16-80mm - it is mechanically focused (but very fast). On the A55, it can be a bit noisy.

David
Ian C
Heirophant

Unread post by Ian C »

David Kilpatrick wrote:There is only one issue with the 16-80mm - it is mechanically focused (but very fast). On the A55, it can be a bit noisy.

David
Thanks for the info! Sure that will be ok for me, the noise is not an issue. 8)
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

Ian C wrote:Hello :)

I have been looking at the Zeiss range of:SAL-1635Z, SAL-2470Z and SAL-1680Z

Think I like the sound of the SAL - 1680Z but not sure which is the best so any opinions would be most welcome 8)

I currently have other Sony lenses that cover from 50-200mm, so really want high quality wider angles up to 50mm to replace the kit lens.
Hi,

If you are planning to go FF one day, and you can afford it, go for the 24-70 f2.8.

The Sony (Minolta/Tamron) SAM 28-75 f2.8 is a great lens also, but probably not wide enough on APS

I haven't read so much about the Sony 16-105 (http://www.adorama.com/ISO16105Z.html) but I include it as an option
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ian C
Heirophant

Unread post by Ian C »

Ah ok, doubt I will be going FF anytime soon, but thats something I didn't think about! Thank you.
Lonnie Utah
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by Lonnie Utah »

Edit2: I was going to suggest the sigma 18-50 with HSM. It seems that some sigma lenses have an issue with SLT, but sigma will re-chip the lens to fix the problem. All their new lenses should be ok.

http://www.google.com/search?aq=f&sourc ... 97cd7ba604

Dave?
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

If only the final image quality is considered, then the best of the bunch clearly is the Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS HSM.

Used with a55, it focuses very fast and precise to extent of being able to shoot indoor with a single press of shutter release, without half-press prefocusing. Its OS is just as effective as in-body SSS is, even at wide end. And its OS does not introduce any additional lateral CA even at extreme shifts of the floating element (which is quite outstandingly unlike some Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM).

Of the negatives, they are the relatively high price, weight and too much lateral CA for JPEG shooting at the wide end.
Ian C
Heirophant

Unread post by Ian C »

Thanks for the support!
Mark K
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Mark K »

16-80 is about to upgrade. Optically it is a very good and light weight lens to go with APS C sized aemrqa. Ian, which cameras are you using? If you are going for FF, then you shoulder consider 24-70 which is a heavy lens.
Ian C
Heirophant

Unread post by Ian C »

Mark K wrote:16-80 is about to upgrade. Optically it is a very good and light weight lens to go with APS C sized aemrqa. Ian, which cameras are you using? If you are going for FF, then you shoulder consider 24-70 which is a heavy lens.
I am using an A55, may eventually upgrade to the A77 8)