Medium range Telephoto

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
malcy
Initiate

Medium range Telephoto

Unread post by malcy »

Hi all, I understand that there will soon be a 55-200mm to be released sometime mid year. I need something fairly fast and sharp for use with the a900, any recommendations or should I wait. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Medium range Telephoto

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

There is a 55-200 already.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Heidfirst
Oligarch

Unread post by Heidfirst »

in fact 2 (SAM & older non-SAM) but they are both APS-C & not fast (i.e f2.8 or less).

If that is the sort of range that you want on an A900 how about a 70-200/2.8 of some description?
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

... or even considering the Tamron or Sigma options for the same 70-200/2.8
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
malcy
Initiate

Unread post by malcy »

Thanks guys, the lens would actually be used for fast action shots and perhaps the 70-200G would do the job but I was wondering whether Zeiss might be releasing something soon as I find that their lenses offer so much better quality [at a price of course] I also understand that the minolta 80-200 f2.8 is an a fairly fast and sharp lens although it has been said that the black ones are much better than the ones they remarketed as G. Does anyone know if this lens is FF. I've also heard that they can be quite noisy but that would not be a problem for me. As to price and availability...? I would reckon they are quite sought after. Any info would be appreciated. cheers
Heidfirst
Oligarch

Unread post by Heidfirst »

malcy wrote: I also understand that the minolta 80-200 f2.8 is an a fairly fast and sharp lens although it has been said that the black ones are much better than the ones they remarketed as G. Does anyone know if this lens is FF. I've also heard that they can be quite noisy but that would not be a problem for me. As to price and availability...? I would reckon they are quite sought after. Any info would be appreciated. cheers
it was developed for film so it is FF.
There are a couple of versions of it & at least in the UK you can buy a new Tamron or Sigma 70-200/2.8 for similar money.
Of those 2 I believe that DK favours the Sigma for FF use.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

I have (and use) the Tamron 70-200 f2.8 and I love the quality (and the price), but it is not a lens for "fast action", the AF is slow, compared with the Sony or Sigma counterparts.
What kind of sport will you shoot? 200 mm will be enough? Otherwise, the Sony 70-400 have the best reviews for a lens on its category.
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lonnie Utah
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by Lonnie Utah »

Best solution. For the price of the Sony 70-200, buy a sigma 70-200 F/2.8 now, and an A77 body when it comes out in a few months. The crop factor will take you out to 105-300 and with the iso you'll get out of the A77 you'll be in heaven....

Sony is releasing a 55-200 for the nex. That might be what you've heard about....
malcy
Initiate

Unread post by malcy »

Yep, it looks like I did look at the 55-200 re NEX, silly me? but I am looking forward to seeing what finally transpires re the a77 as I'm sure a many are. I will however wait and see the review by this site as to what the experts think. They have all been pretty good so far.
Mark K
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Mark K »

I will recommend the old Minolta 70-210/4 which is very sharp on my a850 and also the new 70-300G.